“The Wedding Singer”
Because I am a HUGE movie buff, I decided from time to time to share some of my favorites. Since we are still in the “Month of Love” I chose a romantic comedy. The Wedding Singer is one of those movies I can watch over and over. Part of that is the nostalgia, being in high school and college during the early 80s. Also, I like Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler! One to watch for sure, if you haven’t yet.
Mousse up your hair and pull your Missing Persons records out of mothballs for this romantic comedy set in that era of questionable fashion decisions, the ’80s. In 1985, Robbie Hart (Adam Sandler) is a vocalist whose rock band stubbornly refuses to get off the ground. In the meantime, he makes a living playing wedding receptions, where his easy charm and ability to schmooze brings him a steady income. Robbie meets Julia Sullivan (Drew Barrymore) when she’s working as a waitress at one of his wedding gigs. He immediately takes a shine to her, but since he’s engaged, he keeps his distance. Robbie learns that Julia is also engaged. Unfortunately, her fiancé Glen Gulia (Matthew Glave) is an obnoxious, self-obsessed yuppie who is chronically unfaithful to her. When Robbie gets stood up at the altar by his fiancé it’s a crushing blow to his ego, and he moves from working weddings to bar mitzvahs to avoid the humiliating issue of matrimony, and he considers giving up on music altogether. In time, Robbie realizes that he needs to step in and stop Julia from marrying Glen before the woman he’s come to love ruins her life.
Released in 1998, rated PG-13
Adam Sandler as Robbie Hart
Drew Barrymore as Julia Sullivan
Christine Taylor as Holly Sullivan
Allen Covert as Sammy
Angela Featherstone as Linda
Matthew Glave as Glenn Gulia
Ellen Albertini Dow as Rosie
Alexis Arquette as George Stitzer
Christina Pickles as Angie Sullivan
Frank Sivero as Andy
Billy Idol as Himself
Kevin Nealon as Mr. Simms
Steve Buscemi as David “Dave” Veltri
Jon Lovitz as Jimmie Moore
What I loved in The Wedding Singer~~
- ALL the music. I happen to still love 80s music!
- “Julia Gulia” – Drew’s character’s married name, if she ends up with the slimeball Glen.
- Robbie singing “Love Stinks” at the wedding reception. That whole scene is hysterical. Father of the Bride: “You are the worst wedding singer in the world, buddy!” Robbie: “Sir, one more outburst, I will strangle you with my microphone wire. You understand me.”
- Billy Idol. That’s it – Just Billy Idol!
- Robbie to ex-girlfriend Linda: “Hey, psycho, I’m not gonna feel better about this, it’s over. Now please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.” So it was Linda’s fault!
- The Boy George wanna-be in Robbie’s band who could only sing “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me”
- Jon Lovitz. He cracks me up in anything!