Last year I wrote a blog post on the various ways to cook up a turkey for Thanksgiving. You can read that post here: Talkin’ Turkey However the turkey is cooked, or even if choosing an entrée other than turkey, what is served on the side is just as important to a fine holiday meal. Here are a few vegetable recipes that may entice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 3 large Roma tomatoes
- Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Dried thyme, to taste
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 60 seconds. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash and tomatoes in 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly into a spiral, making only one layer. Season with sea salt, black pepper and dried thyme, to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top.
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned. Enjoy.
Broccoli & Mushroom Casserole
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mist a 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli; cook for 4 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water. Pat dry; transfer to baking dish.
- Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté for 2 minutes. Raise heat to high; sauté for 3 minutes. Add to baking dish and season mixture with salt, pepper and red pepper.
- Wipe out skillet; return to medium heat. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter, then add flour. Cook, stirring, until smooth, 2 minutes. Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Whisk for 5 minutes, until thickened. Add mustard; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over broccoli mixture, spreading with a wooden spoon to cover
- Melt remaining 1 Tbsp. butter. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan. Stir in melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over casserole. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Pear & Bleu Cheese Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb halved fresh brussels sprouts
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 pears, sliced and chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper to taste. Without stirring, cook covered for about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and add walnuts and pears, stirring to reveal the carmelized brussels sprouts. Continue cooking for about 3 more minutes.
- Take off of heat and add blue cheese crumbles. Serve warm.
Moroccan Roasted Beets with Pomegranate
- 3 lbs beets, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3/4 tsp salt
- cracked pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T balsamic
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and/or fennel seeds
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 C pomegranate
- 1/4 C crushed roasted pistachios
- 1 T orange zest
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- Toss beets, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper in a bowl to coat well and place on parchment lined baking sheet and roast until fork tender, stirring every 15 minutes, about 45 minutes.
- Make Balsamic Glaze:
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Place in small pot on med low heat, and reduce 20 minutes or until you have about 3 T
- When beets are done, place in a serving dish and toss with balsamic glaze, pomegranate seeds and pistachios. Garnish with orange zest.
Rosemary Roasted Carrots
- 2 bunches of small carrots (about 24), peeled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss the carrots with olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt & pepper. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tender.
Note: If you want to leave the tops of the carrots on, loosely wrap them in foil before baking so they don’t burn in the oven.