Fitzwilliam Darcy IS the Perfect Hero!
Mr. Darcy . . . How do we love him? Let us count the ways . . .
1. Mr. Darcy is a man who listens. He pays attention to every word Elizabeth says to him, even when she is angry or teasing him. That is awesome enough, but the kicker is that he truly hears and understands! He reassesses himself based on her opinions, believes what she says about Jane, and respects her feelings in regards to him.
2. Mr. Darcy is honest. He speaks his mind – too much so as the “tolerable” Lizzy can attest. So while a filter might be wise here and there, this honesty is a nice change from the falseness many assume. Additionally, he is honest about his honesty! He informs Elizabeth straightaway that disguise of every sort is abhorrent to him.
3. Mr. Darcy is a complete gentleman. At the end of Lizzy’s scathing rebuke to his horrendous first proposal, he wishes her “health and happiness” and does not lash back. He does not become rude or defensive. Rather, he apologizes for taking up her time.
4. Mr. Darcy is a man of action – taking care of the Lydia situation, for instance – yet he does not boast about it or ask for accolades. Quiet integrity coupled with decisive action is irresistible.
5. Mr. Darcy is rich. Yes, let’s face it: Pemberley, all those fine carriages Mr. Bennet speaks of, and the “ten thousand a year” that Mrs. Bennet suffers vapors over are a major enticement! We would swoon over a man as wonderful as Darcy if he was a Regency chimney sweep. But when he is rich too? That is the cherry on top!
6. Mr. Darcy dotes on his sister. Come on, who doesn’t get all melty when a guy loves kids and animals? Add to that his housekeeper’s gushing commentary of his kindness and generosity to the people who serve or rely upon him. What a winner!
7. Mr. Darcy marries Elizabeth despite her horrid family. Indeed his first proposal was insulting, but secretly we all know that he was spot on when it came to his reservations regarding the Bennets. Can we really blame him for hesitating to marry into that? Mrs. Bennet at Pemberley? Shudder-inducing. Yet for love of Elizabeth the loyal, unconditional-love Mr. Darcy accepts it all. Including Mr. Wickham. Amazing.
8. Mr. Darcy is arrogant. Sure it gets him into some trouble, but can you deny that the prideful confidence, sharp wit, intelligence, and aloof attitude aren’t a bit attractive? Didn’t think so.
9. Mr. Darcy is sexy. Oh yeah! Tall, dark, and handsome. Brooding intensity. Smoldering gazes. Tight breeches. Excellent dancer. Handles firearms and swords. Rides big horses. Taken as a whole, Mr. Darcy is the epitome of an alpha male. He screams sexuality, albeit in a subtle way that is far more effective. *Sigh.
10. Mr. Darcy is complex. He is the onion with loads of layers, and all of us envy Elizabeth the delight in peeling those layers off… I mean, away…
Ten felt like a logical place to stop, but I merely scratched the surface of reasons for loving Mr. Darcy.
Perhaps you can share a few more? Gush on ladies!