Fashion Spotlight: Gentleman’s Greatcoat

Fashion Spotlight: Gentleman’s Greatcoat

coat closeup 1820
1820, detail view *click for larger size

Men during the Regency wore thick coats over their suits, as folks always have for warmth, and then as now there were a wide variety of styles. My personal favorite is the caped greatcoat. Also called a coachman’s coat, carrick or garrick coat, and box coat, it is the ancestor of the trench coat. The terms carrick and garrick appear to be used interchangeably, and the origin/meaning of the name(s) I could not hunt down. Whatever the name, the defining characteristic was the one to five capelets (or pelerines) attached to the collar and covering the shoulders. Aside from this standard feature, a coachman’s coat was typically past the knees with lengths as far as to the ground, voluminous, had deep pockets, high collars, wide cuffed sleeves, and secured with big buttons.




Men's ulster (caped overcoat), 1812
1812 fashion plate
1814 costume parisien
1814 fashion plate
*click for larger view
Great Coat extant1812
1812 *click for larger view














1805 gray greatcoat watermark
*click for larger view



1800 greatcoat half on watermark
*click for larger view

RPRThese “refined” prints, as well as over a hundred others, can be viewed and purchased as greeting cards, photo prints, and other items from my Regency Prints Refined store on Zazzle.

Regency Prints Refined Zazzle Store


2 Comments for Fashion Spotlight: Gentleman’s Greatcoat

  1. Carrick sounds Irish and means a rock in that language– a boy’s name. However, I think it just a corruption of Garrick.

  2. I just assumed that a Garrick coat was named for the actor David Garrick who was quite famous in the latter part of the 18th century.
    I don’t care if it is listed as a man’s coat. I want one.

I love to hear from you!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.