Planning a Christmas party? In need of a treat to bring to the office party? Have hungry mouths to feed after the energy-depleting present opening? Here are just a few appetizer recipes, easy and elaborate, to choose from.
Sweet & Savory Cranberry Pinwheels
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 oz tub crumbled feta cheese
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (look for brand with fewest ingredients)
1. Mix cream cheese and feta together in a large bowl. A pastry cutter works well if you have one. Add green onions and cranberries, mix until well incorporated.
2. Soften tortillas if needed in microwave for 10 seconds. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over first tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (I made mine the night before to save time).
3. Remove plastic wrap, slice tortilla roll evenly. Arrange on a plate and serve!
- 2 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- In a bowl, combine eggs, soup mix, bread crumbs, cranberries and parsley. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; place 12 to 14 balls on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with waxed paper; microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine sauce ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through, rotating once. Gently stir in meatballs. Cover and cook on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Sometimes it is simply the shape that makes it awesome!