- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
Combine all ingredients in a non-aluminum saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Strain, and serve warm.
*You can also place the oranges, cloves, cinnamon, and star anise in a cheesecloth. Then simply strain and pull out the bundle when ready.
Easy Egg Nog
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg + more for topping
- In a stand mixer with a wire whisk, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg in a medium saucepan over medium-high and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. DO NOT LET IT BOIL.
- Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot cream into the egg yolks/sugar. Do this by adding a SMALL amount of the hot cream to the eggs, whisking constantly. Continue adding hot cream to the eggs, whisking fast until the egg mixture is slightly warm. (note: if you mess up this step, you will have scrambled eggs floating in your eggnog)
- Add tempered eggs to the rest of the cream mixture in the pot and cook & stir until it reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon and pour into a medium mixing bowl. Set in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a stand mixer with a clean wire whisk & bowl, beat the egg whites with a to soft peaks.
- Gradually add the 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Warm Cranberry & Apple Cider