Merry Christmas to all my wonderful, faithful readers and friends!
I love meaningful quotes. Whether serious, inspirational, poetic, literary, or humorous, the well-crafted sentiments from clever people of the past are a joy to read.
After the chaos of Christmas morning present opening wanes and the mess is cleaned, grab a mug of hot beverage, relax and read these words to renew the holiday spirit.
Oh, and give the two mini-quizzes a go!
One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day.
Don’t clean it up too quickly. ~ Andy Rooney
Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand.
~ Dr. Seuss
My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others.
~ Bob Hope
Christmas waves a magic wand over the world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.
~ Norman Vincent Peale
Christmas is a day of meaning and traditions, a special day to spend in the warm circle of family and friends.
~ Margaret Thatcher
Here are a few familiar movie quotes. See if you can guess what movie! (Answers at the end of this post.)
1. “Every Time You Hear A Bell Ring, It Means That Some Angel’s Just Got His Wings.”
2. “OK, This Is Extremely Important. Will You Please Tell Santa That Instead Of Presents This Year, I Just Want My Family Back?”
3. “If You Look For It, I’ve Got A Sneaky Feeling You’ll Find That Love Is Actually All Around”
4. “I believe, I believe. It’s silly but I believe.”
5. “There’s children throwing snowballs, Instead of throwing heads. They’re busy building toys, And absolutely no one’s dead!”
6. “We’re kicking off our fun old-fashion family Christmas by heading out into the country in the old front-wheel-drive sleigh to embrace the frosty majesty of the winter landscape and select that most important of Christmas symbols.”
7. “I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!”
8. “Now I have a machine gun. Ho-Ho-Ho.”
9. “That’s what Christmas memories are made from, they’re not planned, they’re not scheduled, nobody puts them in their Blackberry, they just happen.”
10. “It’s Christmas Eve and we are going to go celebrate being young and being alive.”
Christmas is a box of tree ornaments that have become part of the family.
~ Charles M. Schulz
“One can never have enough socks,” said Dumbledore. “Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”
~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
“Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home!”
~ Charles Dickens
Sorry Mr. Grinch, but we LOVE Christmas music! The quotes below are lines from holiday songs, some very popular and familiar, a few not so much. Can you guess the song title? (Answers at the end of this post.)
1. “There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found, for when they placed it on his head, he began to dance around!”
2. “He sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake. He knows when you’ve been bad or good, so be good, for goodness sake!”
3. “What a bright time, it’s the right time, to rock the night away.”
4. “Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh, Over the fields we go, laughing all the way.”
5. “Son of God, love’s pure light. Radiant beams from thy holy face, With the dawn of redeeming grace. Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.”
6. “Pray for peace, people, everywhere… Listen to what I say! The Child, the Child sleeping in the night– He will bring us goodness and light!”
7. “Joyful, all ye nations rise. Join the triumphs of the skies. With angelic host proclaim, Christ is born in Bethlehem!”
8. “How steadfast are Your branches! Your boughs are green in summer’s clime and through the snows of wintertime.”
9. “This, this is Christ the King, Whom shepherds guard and angels sing. Haste, haste to bring Him laud, The Babe, the Son of Mary.”
10. “Here we are as in olden days, Happy golden days of yore. Faithful friends who are dear to us, Gather near to us once more.”
At Christmas, I am always struck by how the spirit of togetherness lies also at the heart of the Christmas story. A young mother and a dutiful father with their baby were joined by poor shepherds and visitors from afar.
They came with their gifts to worship the Christ child. ~ Queen Elizabeth II
I like to compare the holiday season with the way a child listens to a favorite story. The pleasure is in the familiar way the story begins, the anticipation of familiar turns it takes, the familiar moments of suspense, and the familiar climax and ending.
~ Fred Rogers
It’s not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving. ~ Mother Theresa
Christmas is like candy; it slowly melts in your mouth sweetening every taste bud, making you wish it could last forever.
~ Richelle E. Goodrich